The internet’s a pretty big place, with lots going on. How can you hope to keep up with it all? Maybe you want to stay up to date with the latest changes to Facebook, but you’re too busy writing that strategy doc. Or you want to find out about the latest and greatest Snapchat campaigns but that content calendar’s taking longer than you thought. OR you really feel like looking for GIFs of Jesse saying “Yeah Science!” but you’re too busy giggling at GIFs of Gretchen yelling “YOU CAN’T SIT WITH US”.
Whatever it is, I’m here to help. Every 2 weeks, I create Social Digest, a round up of developments to social platforms, great campaigns or ads, emerging networks, viral vids, the latest memes, and of course, GIFs.
So grab a coffee, hang on tight, and stay close, as we attempt to navigate the treacherous and sometimes murky waters of that little thing we call the internet.
(Oh and if you like what you see here, you can find me at @biz987. I’d love to have a chat.)
3 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Brazil-Germany game was the most-discussed single sporting event ever on Twitter, and drove more conversation than Miley’s VMA’s twerk (click the link for a nice visualisation of Twitter activity during the match)
- Twitter’s ‘Buy Now’ buttons have been spotted in the wild
- Augmented reality startup Blippar acquired Layar, making it one of the largest AR players globally
In other news…
- This is sharp. In some parts of the world, minutes and data allowance on mobile are precious. Clicking an ad in, say, your News Feed, would cost you money. So Facebook have come up with a clever workaround, which they’re testing in India before rolling out to more countries. Clicking an ad places a missed call to the brand, who call you back with branded content, without costing the user any airtime or data
- Vine introduces a ‘loop count’, which shows how many times a Vine has been viewed
- Facebook are testing Page rankings – so admins can see how they compare to competitors
- How long before we all have one of these in our pockets? (Keep exploring once you’ve clicked the link, I won’t spoil the surprise)
Just for fun
- 22 people having a worse day than you
- How many of these jokes do you genuinely understand? And be honest guys, otherwise you’re only cheating yourself
- Whether you’re into art history or not, you need to check out these Snapchat captions
- Dude seriously, calm down. It’s just an egg
Worth a Watch
- We’ve still not seen the end of Blurred Lines parody videos. Thankfully, this one’s brilliant
Vine of the Fortnight
GIF of the Fortnight
See you in two weeks for the next edition of Social Digest!